Nov 15, 2012

Japanese lesson (9): 以上

So, perhaps some of you have noticed as you finish each of my posts you see this kanji bit: 以上

The initial idea is to set some sort of line breaker of some sort to separate each post from anything else underneath it. My aim was to make a post perfectly clear that you've reached the end of the post.
But I didn't just pick any kanji. I wanted the one that reads "ijyou."

"What does that mean" you ask? While watching various anime, we usually have a character that gives a lecture or a meeting. Usually in a professional setting like a business meeting or a military proposal. After the lecture is over, they say "ijyou" or "ijyoudesu"

I figure I'll do the same. Just thought I'd let you know. You can use this term when conducting a workshop, speech, lecture, and the like as well.
This term has also been used after ordering something. Sort of like a reply you can use when they ask around the lines of "Would that be all?" Then you can reply "Ijyoudesu" (That's all). If you're in Japan of course.

 以上

No comments: