Nov 13, 2012

Anime Review (2): Humanity Has Declined


-gasp!-

Finally an anime more recent-ish that I can and will review. Firstly, this is not your generic type of anime. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (aka Humanity Has Declined) has a different sort of humour that can be comparable to U.S. dark humour. If I gotten that memo, I might have not bothered watching it since I don't do well watching dark humour. ('course I usually rely on myanimelis.net as a database of finding an anime to watch. And it didn't even list it as a comedy...) 

Since I didn't expect it to be humorous I was surprised to see chicken CEOs in the first couple of episodes...  Though that sorta thing might have deterred me away, what kept me watching was the beautiful pastel, watery colours that was done throughout the show. The character designs were well-done and every character was distinguishable. With such cheerful tones, you would expect a happier look in humanity. In reality, you find a satirical look of humanity's problems in such a dark, playful matter. Irony. And who doesn't like sarcasm every now and then? 

As a side note, there isn't really a progressional story. Just an arc for every two eps or so.

The second thing that kept me watching was the main character. You never get to find out her name so she's just referred to as "Watashi" (Japanese pronoun for "I"). Watashi is relateable character who sees the world in a pessimistic and cynical matter. However, she is also smart and keeps any offensive thought to herself and acts accordingly. I didn't except such a personality being not a lot of pink-haired characters have a similar personality. As I review my favourite anime characters, they're usually dark-haired with smaller eyes. But Watashi ended up to be in my list of favourites. Without her, I wouldn't have enjoyed the series as much. 

Thirdly are the fairies. They're quite adorable and prolific when they're happy...The title for this series is pretty fitting. It pokes fun at us at certain ways I didn't catch right away. If given a chance, this is actually a witty anime. The pacing and the series of events could have been better though. So, though I can't give it a 10/10, it gets a 8.5 for originality, beautiful art, and a decent main character. I predict that this type of ironic anime will be seen more in future anime to come.


以上



No comments: